Follow

one of the biggest problems with our approach to positive initiatives like reducing water consumption, fighting climate change, proper recycling etc. is that the onus is always placed entirely on the end user/private citizen

if you work in basically any industry for more than a couple of years, you can see that you can't trust people to do things properly, if at all

we'll never get to a great recycling target, reduce or reverse climate change, or see improvements in our water usage if we don't target the producers of things that harm the world

why put the responsibility on the individual to save the world, when we can regulate the production of the things that damage it in the first place

@belljar 99% agree with you. The other 1% I'd like to see changes that create true responsibility - like having to take your own separated rubbish to a transfer station. Also water restrictions are really effective.

@koosli i think that for the most part when it comes to water people in australia are generally decent. but i know that there are a lot of businesses that don't do anything at all to restrict their water usage in times of drought. kinda makes you resent those short showers!

@belljar totally. When the millennium drought was on, in Qld at least they forced businesses to have water audits and make changes.

@belljar @koosli speaking of water, I had @sparkibee telling me about how annoyed they get with (non-Australian) YouTubers who tend to leave taps running while they do other stuff. I remember a point when I was in high school, that this bit of guidance seemed to come into the culture from somewhere. I'm sure we were explicitly told things like "don't leave the tap on while bushing your teeth now" and it now seems to be a constant thing we think of on a personal level.

@mike @belljar @sparkibee I've heard that Americans do this thing where they leave the shower running for ages before they actually get in. Far worse than Australians ever tended to do before we had water restrictions drummed into us.

@koosli @mike @belljar @sparkibee Reminds me of otherwise sensible American friends who use clothes dryers on a hot day because clothesline are something of a lower class marker. Blew my mind to learn that.

@mike @belljar @koosli @sparkibee I still keep a bucket in the shower to tip on the garden~

@belljar the reason it is like this is that nixon did his wage and price controls, which kept wages low and gave more money to those that produce large amounts of things. so they use that money to pay off politicians

good idea if you can get this to work though

@rjt @belljar yeah. we can forgive the filth. but he harmed all Americans. him and his ilk

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Café de Auspol

auspol.cafe - part of the Mastodon social network - Australian Politics - Watch out for spills!